Shape Up Mississippi is a grassroots movement to make our city the fittest in the state. Obesity is a dangerous condition and major public health issue. Five of the ten leading causes of death and disability in the United States – heart disease, certain forms of cancer, type 2 diabetes, stroke, and hypertension (high blood pressure) are associated with overweight and obesity.
Our Vision is to:
• Work to improve health, well-being, and quality of life of our community
• Pursue sustainable opportunities for physical activities;
• Educate the public about proper nutrition, reduction and avoidance of obesity, and the maintenance of other healthy lifestyles;
• Develop community-oriented projects such as a community garden, recreational, exercise, or educational parks;
• Develop diverse educational programs through projects that celebrate the unique history and ethnic diversity of the region, including but not limited to, a multicultural and interpretive museum; and
• Promote the integration and advancement of the study of arts and culture.